Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Kids - A Blessing?

This week has been ... trying. Brooke (my darling daughter) has been testing her parent's patience these past couple of months. Most of the time she's an angel, but we've been having some issues with her in regards to using her listening ears at school. Both of her report cards have come home with exceptional marks, except in the paying attention and following directions category. We have had talks with her, spoken to her about it in front of her teacher at conferences, and had daily reminders before she leaves for school. These approaches have been falling on deaf ears. Because guess who got a call from her teacher today. Yup. Me. She knows what to do and how to behave, it's not like she's a belligerent child. I think part of the problem is that she's bored. She comes home everyday exasperated because what she "learned" in school is something she already knows.  She has her young scholars class (gifted program) once per week. But I'm sure that it's enough. So what does a bored child do? Entertain themselves. I guess I could also attribute it to her headstrong personality, her creativity, and her love of attention. However, Eric and I are now forced to come up with ways to "entice" her to behave. It irks me because we shouldn't HAVE to go to these extremes, but I also don't want phone calls from her teacher. Oh Brooke, sometimes your angel face is a little deceiving. I hope first grade will be a little more challenging. I also hope that Brooke can continue in the gifted program at her new school. She needs things that stimulate her. As one of my friends said, "Having a gifted child is hard, but rewarding." So much truth.

On the other end, work has been keeping me busy. I'm gearing up for a large sale in a couple of weeks. I was hoping to have my items pre-made so all I had to do was pack and ship. However, that's not looking too promising. I have some items that are almost finished, but I think the majority of orders will be made to order. This wil delay shipping a bit, but I hope that my buyers understand the time to takes to hand make these items. I am hoping for a good sale since this money will be going towards a our new house.

Speaking of the new house. They were supposed to break ground a couple of weeks ago, but the builder is so backed up, they were delayed for 3-4 weeks. This means it's going to be 3-4 weeks longer to move in. Boo. But, I will wait patiently, because it will all be worth it in the end.

No comments: