Friday, May 15, 2009

Ah husbands :)

You can't live with them, and you can't live without them! Well, I guess I can live with mine. :) I love my darling husband, don't get me wrong (sorry hunny, I know you're going to read this), but sometimes, I just want to throttle him! My husband and I have two completely different personalities, that's probably why we fit so well together. He is quiet, reserved, shy, and cautious when it comes to meeting new people. And me, well, if you know me, then you know I'm loud, outgoing, obnoxious at times, makes people laugh at the drop of a dime and comfortable with new people almost instantaneously. It takes me husband a while to warm up to new people, but once he does, he's a riot!

But that's not what this post is about.

I am a planner. A HUGE planner. Blame it on my anal retentiveness or my over analytical personality. I am not a patient person. I like to know what's going on, when it's going to happen and who is involved. That's just me. So when it comes to our household, I pretty much make sure each day is lived flawlessly (well, I try to at least). We have a common phrase in our household, "Kelsey is always right." My darling husband would like to argue that phrase, and I will say that he has proved me wrong on a few occasions, but usually I know what I'm talking about. Anyways, back to the idea at hand.

I went on post yesterday to see my friends new post housing. It was beautiful, I was jealous. So I followed her back to the housing office to see where we were on the list because I know want a beautiful new on post house. So I waited and spoke with a lovely man by the name of Jim. Turns out, we didn't even have an application filled out. That meant that we weren't in their system and we definitely was not on the waiting list for on post housing. And then it occurred to me, my darling husband was in charge of doing all of this. That was my "AH HA!" moment. (I love you darling!) It wasn't even showing up in the system that my daughter and I were command sponsored. (Alaska is considered an overseas base, so in order to get all of the overseas perks, the dependents have to be command sponsored.) So, I get everything straightened out, filled out an application and got us on the waiting list. #126. Yeah...

So my husband called me last night, after a week of not hearing from him. I know he's under a lot of stress over there, so I didn't want to make a big deal out of it. This is our conversation (edited to make it a little more humorous and entertaining).

Me: "So, when we first got here, did you put us on the waiting list for on post housing?"
Him: "I think so. I'm pretty sure I did. Maybe, maybe not." (Translation: "Nope")
Me: "You sure didn't. We didn't even have an application on file."
Him: "Oh. I thought I did. Really? Not even an application?"
Me: "Nope. No application. But don't worry. Your wife took care of everything."

Ah husbands. I love my husband to death, but some things you just can't leave in his hands.

Example. After Hurricane Katrina and Rita swept through Louisiana, I made both of us go through our closets and get rid clothes that we could donate. We had about three garbage bags full and I entrusted my husband to drop them off at the designated area. When he got home later that day, I asked if he dropped them off and he told me he had. No questions asked. So about three years later we're getting the house ready to be packed up to move here and what do I find in our storage area? The three bags of clothes I asked him to donate. When asked about the bags, he told me he had forgotten about them and by the time he remembered, it was too late to drop them off. Ha.

Don't get me wrong. I love my husband. These kinds of things are the types of things that make me smile (most of the time!).

But he is a very loving, doting, attentive husband. Since hes been deployed, I've gotten two vases of roses and a message in a bottle. I wouldn't trade my husband for anyone or anything.

So I guess the whole point of this post is, if you have a forgetful husband like mine, retrace his steps, but do it on the sly. :)

No comments: